Prepare installation media
Base installation of Linux Mint
- Follow the standard Linux Mint installation procedure - choose timezone, partitions, username, password etc.
- Disconnect the installation media and reboot.
- Login using previously selected username and password.
Kodi and VLC
- Kodi (formerly known as XBMC) and VLC are well known free and open-source multimedia players
- Both of them use GPU accelerated video decoding and give excellent playback quality
- Both of them compatible with the most popular video formats
$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc/ppa
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install kodi vlc vainfo i965-va-driver
- Kodi will support GPU accelerated video decoding out of the box
- In VLC you need to check Tools->Preferences->Input and Codecs->Use GPU accelerated decoding checkbox to take advantage of GPU accelerated video decoding
- Install tools for monitoring CPU and storage temperature (if supported by storage device)
$ sudo apt-get install lm-sensors hddtemp
$ sensors | grep Core
Core 0: +38.0°C (high = +87.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 1: +42.0°C (high = +87.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
$ sudo hddtemp /dev/sda
/dev/sda: Hitachi HTS545016B9A300: 27°C