Fit-PC3: Installing Linux Mint 12
From fit-PC wiki
Revision as of 10:03, 27 September 2018 by Irads
Outdated. See AMD: Installing Linux Mint 19
Prepare installation media
- A USB DVD/CD-ROM drive or a USB Flash drive of at least 1GB should be used as installation media.
- Download Linux Mint 12 "Lisa" - CD or Linux Mint 12 "Lisa" - DVD.
- For installation with a USB DVD/CD-ROM - flash the downloaded image directly onto a DVD/CD.
- For installation with a USB Flash drive, please use the "Startup Disk Creator" utility to create a LiveUSB.
Base installation of Linux Mint 12
- Follow the standard Linux Mint installation procedure - choose timezone, partitions, username, password etc.
- Disconnect the installation media and reboot.
- Login using previously selected username and password.
ATI Catalyst video driver
- fglrx is a proprietary ATI Catalyst video driver that provides XvBA (X-video Bitstream Acceleration) support.
- Install fglrx driver and other required utilities with the command below:
sudo apt-get install fglrx-updates xvba-va-driver vainfo
- Note: system reboot is required after the installation of the fglrx driver.
XBMC with XvBA
- XBMC is a well-known free and open source media player and entertainment hub for digital media.
- The XBMC-XvBA repository provides XBMC PVR builds with direct XvBA support.
- Add the XBMC XvBA repository and install the media player:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:wsnipex/xbmc-xvba sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install xbmc xbmc-bin
- XBMC will support HW video acceleration out of the box.
Tips and tricks
- Fix VLC media player window style:
- Open VLC player, go to the Tools->Preferences->Interface
- Set "Force window style" option to "GTK+".
- Enable video acceleration on VLC media player:
- Open VLC player, go to the Tools->Preferences->Input & Codecs
- Check "Use GPU acceleration (experimental)" checkbox.
- Add development Linux Mint repository to your repositories list. It contains bug fixes that are not yet in the main release.
- Menu->System Tools->System Settings->Software Sources->LinuxMint Software
- Check "Unstable packages (romeo)" checkbox.
- Update your system to get the latest packages.
- sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade