Add external SSD to Default HDD

anandrkris

Add external SSD to Default HDD

Post by anandrkris »

Hi - I am currently running Mitn 17 on my Mint Box II. To increase boot time and increase OS performance, I would like to add external SSD storage (perhaps just 64GB, I've budget constraints :( ) to Mint Box, retaining default 500 GB HDD for storage. (for my movie and TV series collection :D )

Now, scanning through earlier posts, looks like it is feasible. However, I am a total n00b to Hardware and hence need your guidance.

Specifications say that the following are available other than internal 2.5” HDD/SSD.
  • - 1x mSATA slot up to 3 Gbps (SATA 2.0)
    - 2x eSATA ports up to 3 Gbps (SATA 2.0)
Not sure on how to proceed, as I know little about mSATA and eSATA. I presume I need to buy some sort of a case as one of them will be an external drive. Is it a good idea to remove hdd and put it in an external case and connect it using eSATA or mSATA and place the SSD inside as it has OS and would keep it portable.

Thanks for reading through. Open to other ideas / suggestions for my requirment.

Regards,
Anand,
India

mbirger

Re: Add external SSD to Default HDD

Post by mbirger »

mSATA is a small form factor SSD that connected to mini PCIe/mSATA slot on the board. eSATA is an external SATA connector for connecting external storage devices.

You can either use internal mSATA SSD or external SSD to eSATA port.

anandrkris

Post by anandrkris »

Thanks for the details. I believe, I can use eSATA for connecting HDD as well.

Also, can you let me know if I would need any external power supply for eSATA?

anandrkris

Post by anandrkris »

Based on some searching + discussing in Mint forums, am thinking of going with this option - Use SSD inside as internal disk and buy external case for HDD and plug into USB 3 for power and storage. Unfortunately, only 2 USB 3 ports are available. If am using eSATA, what are the other power options?

Read that mSATA is more useful to use as RAM cache situations.

Samsung SSD which I am considering to buy specifies that 7 mm, would it fit perfectly inside in place of current HDD?

Will be grateful for a quick response as there is a electronics sale expected. :) Thanks.

mbirger

Post by mbirger »

eSATA port provide signalling only, meaning power is external.
eSATA accepts any storage with eSATA port.
Both 7mm and 9.5mm drives fit in size.

anandrkris

Post by anandrkris »

Thanks a bunch. :) I just ordered Samsung SSD today and waiting for it to arrive.

Planning to buy a case for HDD and use ot over USB 3 occassionally.

Return to “Storage”