Help Installing SSD on Mint Box 2 with Mint 15 KDE

mintman

Help Installing SSD on Mint Box 2 with Mint 15 KDE

Post by mintman »

I have a Mint Box 2 with the 500G Hitachi hard drive.
I installed a 128G Crucial M4 mSata SSD.
I then installed Mint 15 KDE on to the SSD with the auto installation defaults.

I then promoted the SDD to the top of the boot sequence in the bios.
I then removed the 500G hard drive.

Then I booted and got a cable disconected error.

Can someone please tell me the sequence of steps I should have taken to install KDE on an SSD and remove the regular HDD?

Please include any bios changes needed or special steps required when installing the OS.

Many Thanks!

mbirger

Re: Help Installing SSD on Mint Box 2 with Mint 15 KDE

Post by mbirger »

Please explain KDE.
Anyway, SSD/HDD storage is a plug and play device that doesn't require a driver as soon as it is compatible in terms of its Host interface (usually SATA).
In order to install any operating system you should use USB flash drive and boot from it (connected to USB2.0 port, not USB3.0).

Use the following link for Intense PC Linux install:
http://www.fit-pc.com/wiki/index.php/In ... ware#Linux

mintman

Post by mintman »

Thanks for the reply. KDE is a desktop. The default color is blue you can see it on linux mint homepage.

I think the problem I'm having has to do with some setting in the bios. With the standard configuration, 500G HDD, I installed the mSata SSD and installed Mint Kde. This works fine. It boots into mint kde on the SSD, no problem.

Then I remove the HDD and leave only the SSD and I get an Intel Agent error followed by a cable disconnected or missing error.

Its like it cant find and boot from the SSD without the HDD present.

Any help would be appreciated.

mbirger

Post by mbirger »

Have you tried to change the boot order so that your only device will be first?

mintman

Post by mintman »

Yes I did.
I promoted the SSD to the top of the boot sequence in the bios.

mbirger

Post by mbirger »

Hi,
OK, the problem understood -
When there is more than one storage device mounted/enabled, during OS installation two partitions created. One on your selected disk and a small one (of ~100MB) on a storage connected to SATA0 controller's port on the chipset.
mSATA slot is not SATA0.

After removing the secondary storage you get an error.
Several ways to resolve this:
1. Work with two disks
2. Find a way to move the created small partition to the main disk (forums on the web). We do not have experience working with such tools.
3. Make a clear installation on your mSATA when only mSATA is mounted/enabled. After the install completes you can use more than one disk.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Maxim.

txpc1

Post by txpc1 »

It only worked for me when I removed the factory SATA drive, inserted only the mSATA drive, then installed the new OS (Ubuntu in my case).

Tested new OS. Good.

Next, I formated (ext4) the SATA drive using an external USB enclosure/SATA cable, then after it is formatted, physically install it in the drive bay.

Boot up is flawless and it finds the new drive as a mounted data drive.

Hope this helps.
---Brian

Republic of Texas

hwmartin

Post by hwmartin »

Hi mintman,

Are you using MBR or UEFI booting?

Since UEFI it is no longer sufficient to just set the device as the primary boot device in the boot order. To boot a UEFI disk you need an EFI system partition with a bootloader and you also need to insert a boot loader reference into nvram using the efibootmgr utility. If you do not setup a bootloader using the efibootmgr the system will not boot, even if the device is the first boot device and there is a bootloader installed to the efi system partition.

Return to “Linux on Intense PC”