WIFI driver issue in Ubuntu

jtp

WIFI driver issue in Ubuntu

Post by jtp »

I recently got my fit-PC3 with usb face module and G-T40E processor.

I have installed a standard Ubuntu 11.10 with kernel 3.0.0-15 (x86_64) and I am trying to use it as wireless access point using hostapd.

It works nicely for a while - maybe one or two hours, but then starts failing with the following kernel messages:

DMA: Out of SW-IOMMU space for 148 bytes at device 0000:05:00.0

When this occurs a hard reset is necessary.

The device id indicates that the problems is related to the Realtek Wifi adaptor. The command "lshw -c Network" produces:

resources: irq:43 ioport:2000(size=256) memory:c0004000-c0004fff memory:c0000000-c0003fff memory:c0010000-c001ffff
*-network
description: Wireless interface
product: RTL8188CE 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter
vendor: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:05:00.0
logical name: wlan0
version: 01
serial: 74:2f:68:f2:13:4f
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list ethernet physical wireless
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=rtl8192ce driverversion=3.0.0-15-generic firmware=N/A latency=0 link=no multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11bgn

The problem is the same both with the default driver that comes from ubuntu and when I try the driver that can be downloaded from the Realtek website:

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/dow ... #RTL8188CE

I am downloading the RTL8188 Driver: 92ce_se_de_linux_mac80211_0005.1230.2011.tar.gz

I have now resolved back to deactivating the built-in wifi adaptor and using an external usb wifi adaptor. Then things run perfectly, but that of course was not the intention.

Based on what I have seen in various driver discussions I have tried the kernel options "mem=4G iommu=off" but that makes no difference.

Any clues on how to solve this issue which is actually making the built-in wifi adaptor useless.

irads

Re: WIFI driver issue in Ubuntu

Post by irads »

Thanks for the report. We will try to reproduce the problem and then identify the source. The Realtek WiFi adapter is perfectly stable in NIC mode. It may be helpful if you test it for a few hours in NIC mode to rule out a HW problem with the WiFi adapter.

maninatrix

Post by maninatrix »

Hi,

this thread is some days old now and there has been no solution posted yet. I also have the issue of my fit-pc3 being always on and the wifi connection beeing not available after some time.

I use both, wired connection (wan) and wifi connection (lan) with a dual lan configuration. After some hours uptime the wireless connection drops (as posted in the first post of this thread).

Any solution on that, as it is really annoying for an always-on system?

Thanks & regards

gabrielh
Site Admin

Post by gabrielh »

We are trying to reproduce this problem using different setups, and we will update this post with the results. Till now, we were unable to reproduce this bug with stock Linux Mint setup
Gabriel Heifets

Fit-PC2/3/IntensePC support.

troels.trvo.dk

Post by troels.trvo.dk »

Hi,

I've had the same issues using the same setup. It is apparently a problem with the driver for the realtek card.

The bug (or at least a very related one) was discussed recently on the ubuntu bugtracker: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/961618

The associated kernel bug can be found here:
https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=42976

The associated patch is merged into Linux v3.4-rc3

My hostapd access point did however not work at all, after using the new kernel. So thus far I still do not have a working setup.

Best regards,
// Troels

ochosi

Post by ochosi »

I can confirm this bug with Ubuntu 12.04 (kernel 3.2.0-23), it's really pretty unfortunate because I'd like to use the fit-pc3 as mediaserver _and_ router.
Hopefully the kernel-patch will fix the issue.

bdhj

Post by bdhj »

Hi,

I am experiencing the same problem for a few months now (Debian kernel 3.3.3). I burned way too many hours trying to find a solution.

Is there any progress by anyone of you?

nbpf

Post by nbpf »

Posted on http://www.fit-pc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=99&t=5119, any update on the wireless issue ? Thanks, nbpf
nbpf wrote:This is probably more pertinent to the Fit-PC3 thread but since I have raised the question here, here we go:

I have finally bought a barebone Fit-PC3 low power ( FITPC3-2x2Gb-T40E-WB-FM4U) a Samsung SSD 840 256GB drive and I have installed a minimal Debian system booting from an external CD-DVD reader attached to one of the Fit-PC3 front USB ports and using debian-7.2.0-amd64-netinst.iso.

What I can say so fas is that net installation over wireless works fine if you provide the non-free drivers rtl8192cfw.bin and rtl8168d-1.fw as required by the Debian installer.

There are, however, two major issues to be solved:

1) The wireless connection is not working if my USB asynchronous DAC (M2TECH Hiface DAC) is connected to one of the 4 back USB ports ! If the DAC is connected to one of the front USB ports, wireless works perfectly. In both cases the DAC itself works fine: it is recognized as card 2 (ls /proc/asound/card*) no matter if it is connected to a front or to a back USB port.

2) Wireless goes down after a few hours

I'm looking into both issues and I hope I'll be able to solve at least issue #2. At the moment this issue makes the Fit-PC3 effectively unusable as a dedicated headless audio server which is a pity because the computer works otherwise fine.

mbirger

Post by mbirger »

Few questions:
fit-PC3 barebone come without WLAN module and has different P/N than you wrote:
1. Do you use your own WLAN module or the one came with fit-PC3?
It is possible that the problem with WLAN module.
2. I would recommend to try the same HW under Windows and see if it more stable behavior.
3. Or some Linux drivers issues.

nbpf

Post by nbpf »

mbirger wrote:Few questions:
I have bought my fit-PC3 here http://www.fit-pc.net/fit-pc-3-fitpc3-d ... -p-17.html (without Harddisk, without OS but with wireless interface). The service was excellent, I have order on Monday morning and they shipped on Monday afternoon.
mbirger wrote:Few questions:
1. Do you use your own WLAN module or the one came with fit-PC3?
It is possible that the problem with WLAN module.
2. I would recommend to try the same HW under Windows and see if it more stable behavior.
3. Or some Linux drivers issues.
The issue is solved, please see http://www.fit-pc.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 484#p17484

Return to “Linux on fit-PC3”