Intel Atom (Rangeley)

Dual Ethernet, 5.1 Audio, Standard HDMI... post here everything fit-PC2 does not have and you wish it had. We listen.
davor

Intel Atom (Rangeley)

Post by davor »

Wish: an Intel Atom mini pc (Rangeley), from Compulab. With Intel NICs:

http://ark.intel.com/products/codename/60191/Rangeley

The Rangeley (or Avoton) is an excellent CPU for network appliances.

-Davor

irads

Re: Intel Atom (Rangeley)

Post by irads »

Thank you for the input.
Our new designs IPC2, fit-PC4 and upcoming products incorporate Intel NICs.
Between Network processors and general purpose SoCs we see more flexibility with the latter ones.
I would be glad to hear what are the important advantages of Rangeley over BayTrail with multiple NICs in your view.

davor

Post by davor »

Hi,

The crypto engine, more cache & up to 8 cores, ECC memory support (I think some baytrail support it, but I never seen a baytrail system with ECC).

According to tests from the pfsense guys (a customized FreeBSD distro for firewalls), Rangeley can handle way more network bandwidth than baytrail. Very good performer.

Today the only choice is a Supermicro mini itx board, but the only decent case is an U1 case, also from Supermicro. Sometimes you need a small device, and the Compulab design are very industrial like. The market is full of mini itx cases, but more oriented towards HTPC, with lights, cheap designs and cheap plastic (nothing wrong with plastic in some parts, the Glock handgun has a plastic frame and it's an excellent design, but flimsy plastic... :x )

There's also the Avoton, a more general purpose variant.

(Until today, I didn't even know that this SoC has integrated Ethernet controller, Intel i354)

- Davor

irads

Post by irads »

Thank you for the concise and informative answer. This is the kind of feedback I appreciate most.

Best regards,

Return to “Wish list”