CPU

Dual Ethernet, 5.1 Audio, Standard HDMI... post here everything fit-PC2 does not have and you wish it had. We listen.
Charybdis

CPU

Post by Charybdis »

Hello,

when do you plan to use the dual-core Atom, or the 2Ghz Atom? Or just a faster Atom?

MattW

Re: CPU

Post by MattW »

It appears that the Intel US15W "Poulsbo" chipset has only been validated for the Atom Z5xx CPUs, so this precludes the use of the dual-core Atom 330.

I don't work for the people who make the Fit-PC2, but I imagine they could design a system using a different Intel chipset that would use the 330, but it would draw a lot more than ~7 watts...

fluffycloud

Post by fluffycloud »

That's one of the reasons I'm so attracted to the Fit-PC2, it's a complete working computer, with all parts attached where you know how many watts it draws before you buy.

You go out you get another computer with a 6w cpu and by the time you're done building the computer it might draw 25 - 40w just because you picked different mb/hd/ram, and the rest of that stuff doesn't specify how many watts they draw.

Currently all of the faster atom cpu's are tied to the intel 945gc chipset which runs 22watts all by itself. I'm thinking that's probably too hot to be running in a fanless form-factor like this. I think you'll just have to wait until intel comes out with a cooler chipset to run it's newer cpu's on.

Srsly, go browse newegg for look at some of the intel atom motherboards. Look at the pictures. The cpu's on the left with just a heatsink, while the 945gc is in the middle of the board with a fan on it.

-Fluffy

irads

Post by irads »

CompuLab is not likely to offer just another Atom Nxxx 20+W nettop solution.

AoRaToS

Post by AoRaToS »

what about the new Atom Z5xx that are coming soon?Anything about them? There will be a 1.86Ghz CPU and probably a 2Ghz CPU.

According to this:

http://www.engadget.com/2009/03/20/inte ... ts-2-0ghz/

Abusimbal

Post by Abusimbal »

Will the Z550 2Ghz come availible as an option ?

irads

Post by irads »

The Z550 is just announced - not yet available. Integrating in fit-PC2 depends on several factors - compatibility, price, power to name a few.

amite.rivers

Post by amite.rivers »

It probably won't be available...

Compulab is embedded company and the availability of 2+ yrs for Atom 550 is too less for its customers.

If Compulab chases every low power CPU to be integrated and does gamble like other big people, then it will soon go out of business....

Let's face it, Intel just produces chips and nobody knows which will sell, everybody makes predictions.

Please, compulab, just focus engineering on the low power end only. I wish ARM based nettops were possible and able to run Windows. ARM based machines are so much more effcient than Atom or Geode, if ARM's marketing is to be believed.

hodka

Post by hodka »

I like to revisit the z550 (2 GHz) issue.

I saw, that the new cpu is built in the new vaio p, for example, see: http://www.pocketables.net/2009/06/2ghz ... aio-p.html

I would be glad to see it in the fit-pc 2 as well, as I heard about the bad flash video playback experience at youtube with the current setup of fit-pc2. Is this true???

As I am really interested to replace my current desktop PC by a fit-pc2, I would further be interested how many Tabs one can open on Firefox, for example, until it starts slowing down? Unfortunately, I did not find any information on that topic.

Thanks in advance.

irads

Post by irads »

Intel Atom Z550 is not offered at acceptable price and longevity terms.
If the situation changes we may offer such configured fit-PC2.
There are no indications that Z550 is going mainline anytime soon.

Return to “Wish list”