My wish list, starting with sodimm slots...

Dual Ethernet, 5.1 Audio, Standard HDMI... post here everything fit-PC2 does not have and you wish it had. We listen.
BlueCoder

Post by BlueCoder »

Or regular slots. Or even a proprietary module. (I'm guessing you solider memory on the board directly maybe because of the heat) That way you could also possibly support ecc. Those of us using the device as a server (most of us) will probably give up a little speed for more reliability. If you have a slot or socket that then makes it possible to satisfy everyone ECC or not as well as any size memory. It also decreases the number of models you have in stock.

IR sensor and serial port for all models. The IR sensor is just such a nice touch. Maybe if we can't have both a toggle switch or an IR that plugs into the serial port. Maybe relocate it to the back in that situation.

Make the product more modular. Design the case to be opened up by the user for changing memory and drives on initial install. Then you could just have base units and customization kit such for memory and drives, and what OS is installed on those drives...

Switch form mini-SD to micro or full SD. Maybe even allow two slots for those that want to boot from SD and want to separate OS and data.

Keep the dual Ethernet. I primarily use these boxes as firewalls/routers connected to a large simple smart switch. I much prefer using BSD (and Linux to a lesser extent) for the brains of a router rather than proprietary router operating systems. (PS I also use one as the brains for a touch screen appliance.)

A feature I would love but doubt you can get would be OpenBIOS. Do a binary blob for the proprietary stuff if you have to. It would make it even better to turn it into an embedded platform. Put VNC onto it or at least make it possible for owners to do so though OpenBIOS.

Keep the Wifi. Bluetooth is nice but not necessary when you can just plug a tiny transceiver into a USB port. I believe there are some advantages to directly controlled WiFi.

Try to convince PowerVR to release their docs on their video hardware so open source developers can write drivers for them.

SATA connector and possibly and an eSATA port.

POE if you can. But adapters do remedy this but aren't as polished. Maybe a custom small POE adapter that attaches to the unit? If you want to get fancy sell a USB high quality world usable FM transceiver (any frequency) with a hookup for an eternal antenna. Something that could transmit all over a house. It other words sell useful tested accessories that integrate well.

Thank you for listening.

irads

Re: My wish list, starting with sodimm slots...

Post by irads »

Thanks for taking the time for wriing this thoughtful feedback.
I agree with most of your observations. I think you would like fit-PC3 (and IntensePC that follows).

Return to “Wish list”