IntensePC: Installing Linux Mint 17
From fit-PC wiki
Prepare installation media
- A USB DVD-ROM drive or a USB Flash drive of at least 2GB should be used as installation media
- Download Linux Mint 17.3 "Rosa" - Cinnamon (64-bit)"
- For installation with a USB DVD-ROM - flash the downloaded image directly onto a DVD
- For installation with a USB Flash drive, please follow How to install Linux Mint via USB tutorial
Base installation of Linux Mint
- Follow the standard Linux Mint installation procedure - choose timezone, partitions, username, password etc.
- Disconnect the installation media and reboot.
- Login using previously selected username and password.
Kodi and VLC
- Kodi (formerly known as XBMC) and VLC are well known free and open-source multimedia players
- Both of them use GPU accelerated video decoding and give excellent playback quality
- Both of them compatible with the most popular video formats
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc/ppa sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install kodi vlc vainfo i965-va-driver
- Kodi will support GPU accelerated video decoding out of the box
- In VLC you need to check Tools->Preferences->Input and Codecs->Use GPU accelerated decoding checkbox to take advantage of GPU accelerated video decoding
- Install tools for monitoring CPU and storage temperature (if supported by storage device)
sudo apt-get install lm-sensors hddtemp
sensors | grep Core Core 0: +38.0°C (high = +87.0°C, crit = +105.0°C) Core 1: +42.0°C (high = +87.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
sudo hddtemp /dev/sda /dev/sda: Hitachi HTS545016B9A300: 27°C