Application note - Airtop3 reducing audible noises
- This application note applies to Airtop3.
- With the voltage changes, the capacitors vibrate from Piezoelectric forces causing them to make audible noise.
- The main source for this noise are from the power circuits of both the CPU and internal GPU.
- Disabling C-state should reduce noise from the CPU's power circuit, see below instructions:
1. Activate development setup items of the setup menu:
- While in splash screen, press [F11] (instead of Delete) in the keyboard. - Go to 'Advanced' tab -> 'Setup items availability' (first item in Advanced tab) -> Choose 'Development'. - Caution: Now the full setup menu is open, including options that can impair the Airtop3 stability or functionality, and items that were not checked or don't work.
2. In 'Advanced' tab -> 'Power & Performance' -> 'CPU -Power Management Control' -> 'C states' -> Choose 'Disabled'
3. Back to the tabs menu (2x [Esc] button) -> 'Save & Exit' tab -> 'Save Changes And Exit' -> 'Yes'. [u]Note:[/u] Disabling C-states may reduce power efficiency of the CPU
- Using a Discrete GPU should naturally reduce the noise from the internal GPU power circuit but there's also additional configurations that can be done from the development setup menu that may help:
1. Enter the development setup menu:
- While in splash screen, press [F11].. - Go to 'Advanced' tab -> 'Setup items availability' -> Choose 'Development'.
2. In 'Advanced' tab -> 'Power & Performance' -> 'GT - Power Management Control' -> Change the two options below:
- 'RC6(Render Standby)' -> 'Disabled' - 'Disable Turbo GT frequency' -> 'Enabled'
3. Back to the tabs menu (2x [ESC] button) -> 'Save & Exit' tab -> 'Save Changes And Exit' -> 'Yes'.