SATA/PATA

Hard disks, SSD, SATA interface, external HDD
Pascalb

SATA/PATA

Post by Pascalb »

Hello,
I'm far from being really knowledgeable about Intel chipsets, nor about PATA/SATA. But it seems that US15WCH provides support for PATA only, not for SATA. Does it mean there is a kind of PATA/SATA converter on motherboard?
Best regards,
Pascal.

irads

Re: SATA/PATA

Post by irads »

Yes, fit-PC2 incorporates PATA to SATA converter.

dako

Post by dako »

It might confuse people when you use the SATA-notion and no actual SATA-support is available.

What hard drive does it ship with? Model, manufacturer

irads

Post by irads »

I apologize if we confused you.

Look at the connector on the right. That's SATA for 2.5"
We ship with 160GB Seagate or Samsung.

dako

Post by dako »

Irad: Exactly. It looks as if it's supporting SATA when really it's just an onboard SATA->PATA-converter? Reading the datasheet from Intel the chipset supports UDMA5 at best which means 100MB/s and not 150MB/s (SATA).

DaveSemm

Post by DaveSemm »

Will a future version have a native SATA-2 chipset? I assume that would make it cheaper and simpler.

But I don't see the speed of PATA being a major issue since the processor also isn't all that fast.

Dave

irads

Post by irads »

The PATA/SATA theoretical performance is not the true bottleneck. The 5400RPM 2.5" HDDs support maximum transfer rate of 60MB/s.

Native SATA can be considered after Intel begins offering such a chipset.

MattW

Post by MattW »

The specs on the PATA transfer rates for the "Poulsbo" chipset are limited to 100MB/sec -- A lot of the new Flash-based Solid State Drives can have read speeds of 200MB/sec or more. (for example, the OCZ Vertex 2.5" SSD http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/f ... ii_2_5-ssd)

Though generally I would agree with you that PATA is not a limiting factor for disk/platter based 2.5" drives since none of them come close to 100MB/sec throughput.

ninjabilly

Post by ninjabilly »

Would it be possible to add a PATA drive to the fit-pc2 instead of the SATA drive

docbee

Post by docbee »

What connector do I get when ordering the diskless modell? SATA or PATA? Is the SATA/PATA converter included in the diskless variant?

Return to “Storage”